Who we Are
Dedicated parents who support our students with a donation of $1,000 or more each fiscal year, are encouraged to participate in the UNCW Parents Council. The council was created almost a decade ago and works hand-in-hand with the university administration, ensuring you are an informed parent.
The group meets twice during the academic year, with one meeting during Family and Alumni Weekend in the fall and another during the spring semester. Between meetings, members serve as ambassadors in their geographic area to prospective UNCW students. Active participation in the UNCW Parents Council is a rewarding way to share in your student’s career.
Parents Council Mission:
- Involve UNCW parents in campus and regional activities that promote the university
- Enrich their students' college experience
- Foster student career opportunities
- Support the financial needs of the university
- Make the college process a positive one for parents and their students
How Members Participate:
- Attend two meetings per year on campus with the chancellor, academic leaders and senior administration
- Host or attend summer events for incoming students and parents throughout the state
- Serve as ambassadors for the university by identifying future UNCW students in your own communities
- Work together to increase philanthropic support for all of our Seahawk students
"We wanted to stay involved during our children's years in college,
and the Parents Council gave us a great opportunity to do so. Through the organization, we have been given a tremendous amount of information about UNCW and its programs, making us better ambassadors for the university we all love so much."
Sherry & Craig Myers
Parent Council member, Thomas Tousignant, demonstrating the Paddle Board Igniter at the February 2016 meeting
Knowing my parents contribute philanthropically to UNCW every year makes me realize how lucky I am to have them in my life. They not only help me, but also the university and other UNCW students with their contributions.
Abigail Costello '14
2016 Summer Sendoffs
Thursday, July 28, 2016 - Wilmington, NC
Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - Durham, NC
Thursday, August 4, 2016 - Wake Forest, NC
Monday, August 8, 2016 - High Point, NC
Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - Waxhaw, NC
Thursday, August 11, 2016 - Charlotte, NC
Fall Meeting - Saturday, September 24, 2016
9 - 11:30 am
Education Building Room 162
Unlimited possibilities await your student around each corner.
Please join us to continue to make a difference in students' lives by becoming a member of the UNCW Parents Council. With your participation, you will be part of the select group of parents shaping the future of this university.
To speak with someone about the parents council, contact:
Dawn Brinkley Carter
Director of Development for Parent & Family Giving